Wednesday, September 26, 2007

On the up

Is it the changing seasons? Or is it the fact that my little poppet Sadie Spector has just started school in the mornings? Yes- my one and only has just done 2 weeks in reception and although it's allowing me time to prattle about doing pointless things like starting a blog, I rather miss her and am sad that she's growing up so fast.
And this is my first blog, which considering I'm a writer may seem rather odd. I used to be far less worried about exposing myself to others, so to speak. I've always thought things like this just cater for nosey parkers, but what the hell. Here I am. Her Indoors.
My background in ranting about myself goes back a long way. 15 years ago Beaumont Fee started as a shameless, irreverent self-expression of my teenage life. It was a photocopied, flimsy thing called a fanzine- a tale of teenage debauchery in an egotistical world of hormones, LSD, loud guitars and an obsession with Brett Anderson. If I ever get the hang of this blog malarkey, I'll put some of the archive issues up on here.
Now I'm allegedly a proper grown up. I've turned 30 and I have a daughter. Hello? When did all this happen? Gone are the days of thumping loudly on my blue typewriter, locked in my bedroom in Sleaford, downing dad's whisky and dreaming of a better life. Now I'm supposedly living that better life, in Brighton, tapping on my computer keyboard and looking forward to a glass of merlot this evening. Not much has changed.
My musical background to the original BF was a mixture of Suede, Blur, Bowie and Abba. Now all I hear is silence and my conscience telling me I should be doing something more productive like write That Book that's on the back burner. Next BF blog I'll have a soundtrack.
Been trying to write the first chapter of The Book this morning. Did 600 words last night (pathetic) and then went off to watch that social experiment on babies programme last night 'Bringing Up Baby'. That awful witchy woman who wouldn't let the parents cuddle their baby made me sick. In fact the whole format made me cringe. I had to switch off the tv. I should have stuck to rambling in my book.
Speaking of wasting quality creative time I'll be off....

No comments: