Thursday, November 22, 2007

Fresh lungs and how to survive being ginger


As someone who used to regularly enjoy chain smoking benson and hedges in the pub over a pint or three, I can't believe I am actually going to say this, but I am SO happy that pubs are now non-smoking. I went to my favourite public house in Brighton today (the 'Hand In Hand' in Kemptown by the way; see http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/23/2390/Hand_In_Hand/Brighton) with Andy and for the first time (we haven't been there since the ban- we don't get out that often...) I could actually SEE the bar when I walked in and BREATHE. I am now going home after a visit to the local with my senses still intact (well apart from my sense of reality, having had a few, but that's why I like a drink) and no need to wash my clothes the next day. BUT the best thing about the smoking ban is that now we can get a seat in the pub, no matter what time and what day of the week it is. There must be a whole load of smoking dens in people's houses now, as more than half of Brighton no longer comes out to play, especially now it's got so blimin' chilly. A bit sad but it's always nice to get a good seat innit.
Speaking of pubs, and actually now you are going to think I am a liar and in fact DO get out more than I say I do, we met up with the lovely Joy and Geoff last night for a drinkie or two in the Lanes. Geoff is such a funny man. My face didn't just ache from laughing at his banter, it actually felt like it was going to fall off. They are very creative and inspiring those two as well, and what with their publishing know-how, are urging us on to make a coffee table book displaying Andy's crisp packet collection (see pic). He has the largest collection of packets in the world and they are just rotting in the shed of our garden in Camden. If people bought 'Boring Postcards' all those years ago (I did) then surely a book of comical ('Craps' anyone?), kitsch and colourful snack jackets will please the book-mad public.
Do you know I saw two books next to each other in the gift section at Borders the other day- one entitled 'How to spot that your other half is an utter twat' and the other 'How to survive being ginger' (I was tempted by both but let's say no more). If this bollocks is selling then we're onto a winner.

No comments: